The Journal of Biogeography invites submissions of manuscript proposals (brief outlines of manuscripts yet to be prepared) by Early Career Researchers for consideration for publication and awards for innovation.
Proposals will be considered in three categories of article:
– Perspectives and Syntheses
– Original research
(For more information, see https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/page/journal/13652699/homepage/forauthors.html)
Proposals on any subject in biogeography are welcome.
Proposals should be composed of the following and submitted as a single PDF:
– Targeted article type (see above)
– ≤600 word proposal organized under the following headings:
.. The gap in knowledge/understanding to be addressed
.. The context (incl. a brief review of the relevant literature)
.. Goal or expected outcomes
– List of authors (indicate the eligible ECR, who must be lead and corresponding author)
– Contact information for the eligible ECR
– Date the eligible ECR’s degree was conferred
Early Career Researchers are graduate students and postdocs (and equivalent positions) up to 5-years post award of the PhD (exclusive of career breaks).
All proposals will be reviewed by an ad hoc committee of JBI academy, associate and chief editors on the following criteria:
- Novelty / originality of the idea (30%)
- Accuracy of identified problem and context (30%)
- Significance / impact (20%)
- Quality of preparation (20%)
Up to a dozen proposals in each category will be invited for submission as full articles, which should be submitted within 3 months of receiving the invitation.
Full articles will enter the standard editorial and review procedure of the journal and will be assessed for receipt of the award on the following criteria:
- Novelty / originality of the idea
- Accuracy of identified problem and context
- Significance / impact of findings
- Quality of preparation of the manuscript
Journal of Biogeography will publish all invited articles freely under “full access” (i.e. downloadable from the journal website for one year from the date of publication). In addition, the lead ECR authors of the three papers ranked most highly by the editorial team will receive a monetary award of $750 each.
Proposal submission: 01 March 2022
Invite full manuscripts: 01 April 2022
Manuscript submission: 01 September 2022
Upload *proposals* as a single PDF with the filename “LASTNAME_FIRSTNAME_ECRproposal.pdf” only to: https://www.dropbox.com/request/kcjoSxpDrzb569JF2B27 *upload only*
Address enquiries (Subject line: “Enquiry: ECR Innovation Award”) to the Editor-in-Chief at firstname.lastname@example.org
JBI aims to foster inclusive science that reflects the disciplinary, human, and geographic diversity of biogeography and biogeographers. Submissions are welcomed from applicants of all ethnicities, races, colors, religions, sexes, sexual orientations, gender identities, national origins, disabilities, ages, or other individual status.